Disadvantages of chemical fertilisers
· Excess nitrogen used in chemical fertilisers contribute to the release of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and nitrous the atmosphere.
· The use of chemical fertilizers depletes the soil of essential nutrients. As a result the food produced in these soils has less vitamins and mineral content
· The acidity of chemical fertilizers affects the soil pH and kills the beneficial microbes in the soil and increases the pests.
· The leaching away of chemical fertilizers pollute the water.
· The chemicals included in the fertilizers seep into the subsoil and cause compaction of the soil.
· Fast-release chemical fertilizers make plants more susceptible to mosaic infections and plant diseases